OpenLMIS is a powerful, open source, cloud-based electronic logistics management information system (LMIS) purpose-built to manage health commodity supply chains
in General - tbc
The OpenLMIS initiative incorporates a community-focused approach to develop open source and customizable LMIS systems specifically designed for low-resource settings (read: spotty internet, low-grade infrastructure).
OpenLMIS automates the LMIS system throughout the supply chain and supports interoperability through APIs, which allow implementers to send and receive data between Health Management Information System (HMIS) visualization software, mobile data collection platforms, and warehouse ERP systems.
The mission of OpenLMIS is to collaboratively develop shared, open-source software in order to improve health commodity distribution in low and middle-income countries (Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Guinea, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zanzibar).
Current openIMIS implementations
OpenLMIS manages and automates logistics processes at over 11,000 health facilities across 11 implementations in 9 countries across Africa, across all major health programs including vaccines.
Key features of openIMIS system ------------------- to be changed
openIMIS is a comprehensive system for managing and standardizing crucial performance operations of Health Insurance. Starting from enrolment and renewal of membership, the system is ready to process claims and provider payment as well as all other management tasks. The system distinguishes itself through the use of easily accessible and implementable mobile applications taking processes closer to clients and making health insurance more inclusive, particularly for the informal sector. The system reduces bureaucracy and cuts down transaction time. openIMIS distinguishes itself with its innovative features:
- User friendly, and easy to access
- Lower processing costs and time
- Centralized web-based, paperless application for enrolment, renewals, identification enquiry, contribution collection, claiming, provider payment and feedback collection features
- Cost effective patient identification using QR codes
- Off-line installation synchronized with the central database whenever internet is available or manually through data storage devices
- Applicability to different types of health insurance schemes (community-based, district, regional or national schemes), encompassing different enrolment modalities, benefit packages and provider payment mechanisms
- Technical basis for implementing portability of benefits across different insurance schemes and locations
- Unique feedback app for increasing social accountability
- Support of different languages (e. g. English Kiswahili, Nepali, French). New languages could be easily added
- License-free software and continuous development by the global open-source community
1. Swiss-Tanzania Cooperation: Achieving Universal Health Coverage (UHC)
Who is it for? -------------------------- to be changed
The users of openIMIS are institutions paying for health care, e.g. health insurance funds or ministries of health.
The software helps to manage:
- Membership/ patient registry
- Benefit package (services and prices)
- Contracted providers
- Service claims and reimbursement
- Client feedback
- Monitoring and reporting